Did you know you can get one-on-one professional help to develop your academic skills? These individual 45-50 minute sessions provide you with personalized support for your specific academic concerns. Individual appointments, or consultations, are available for undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral students. Students can access one-time support, three-session term plans, or arrange for assistance throughout the year:
- U of A Student Fee: $25/session
- U of A Student 3-Session Plans: $60/3 sessions
- Non-U of A Student Fee: $37.50/session
Individual appointments must be pre-booked at least a week in advance. To book, call 780-492-2682 or visit 2-300 SUB.
What can I expect at an individual consultation, and how should I prepare?
Appointment topics may include: writing analysis and feedback (for course papers, thesis section, grant application, or any writing task); communication strategies; time management and scheduling; studying, note-taking, and memory; reading; exam preparation, anxiety, and performance; presentations; oral exams; essay exams; multiple-choice exams; and, preparation for certification exams. Please note:
- For writing consultations, students are asked to submit a writing draft by e-mail prior to their appointment. Although we will look at, discuss, and fix some writing problems, this is not a proofreading or editing service. Read more about our Thesis Editing service here.
- For communications consultations, students will receive feedback and coaching on a 10-minute pre-prepared presentation. Feedback will also be provided on accompanying visual material (e.g., PowerPoint/Prezi, slides, poster). Only available upon completion of the Engaging Presentations or Oral Defense of Your Dissertation workshop.
- Fees are nonrefundable; however, students may re-schedule at a later date should the appointment be cancelled.
- Late or missed appointments are subject to cancellation and loss of fee payment.
- Our cancellation policy applies to all appointment and workshop registrations.