Academic Copy Editing Service
The Student Success Centre offers a copy editing service for graduate students, instructors, and professors for the following projects:
- Masters or PhD theses dissertations
- Final capstone projects
- Documents for publication or career purposes.
We also offer one-on-one consultations as well as seminars on writing for individuals with other documents. We DO NOT edit documents that will be submitted to be graded for a class.
Our editing service attempts to be transparent and instructive, as well as efficient. We want to help you:
- understand more about your own writing, both strengths and weaknesses
- gain an appreciation for academic writing in its restrictions and freedoms
- become more adept and skilled for future academic writing
Please read through How it Works and Conditions and Parameters, and contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
How it works
University of Alberta students, staff, and faculty
- Once you have determined that your document fits the criteria for our service, please submit your request using the link below, uploading the file when prompted within the request form. Your file should be a double spaced WORD document and follow the naming format LAST NAME_EDITING REQUEST. Include your supervisor’s name and email address.
- One of our writing advisors will look over your document, the type and number of errors, and make a determination of suitability — whether the writing is at a level that does not require major rewriting but would benefit from some revision and correction.
- If the document does fit the criteria, we will send you fee and time estimates. If the document does not fit our editing service, we will recommend other options to help you move forward with your writing.
- Once you have agreed to the fee and confirmed that you would like us to proceed, we will send your supervisor a brief note informing them of our intent to work with you.
- We will make revisions and corrections, transparently tracking them in the document for your acceptance or rejection. We will also make comments indicating confusion, ambiguity, or a teaching point. If we have concerns with the writing level or encounter more significant problems than expected, we will contact you and suggest options.
- You will be sent the document to look over and accept or reject the changes and consider our suggestions as you see fit.
- If your document is over 25 pages, our writing advisor will meet with you, if desired, for a 45 minute post-evaluation:
a) to explain and answer questions
b) to clarify comments if necessary
c) to recommend further support/study
If you would like to request the copy editing service and you are from another institution, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- the type of project your are submitting (i.e. article for publication, capstone project, thesis, etc.)
- how the service will be paid for (i.e. department, supervisor, individual)
- additional time constraints or special instructions
- the file
Conditions and Parameters
- Cost: Our fees start at $5.00 for a double-spaced page of text with 12-point font and a one-inch margin.
- While our expertise is in writing, editing, and preparing academic papers, we are not experts in your particular discipline. We will not address issues of content other than as to how they relate to clear communication.
- We focus on grammatical and punctuation errors, logical and conceptual inconsistencies, and unclear communication.
- We will help develop your work, but we are not making your document publication-ready. We are also not rewriting your document. In all likelihood, you will have to do more polishing work on your document when we return it to you. If you are submitting a document for publication, we are certainly willing to be more intrusive and make more significant changes as per your request.
- We will help you improve your document, but always remember it is your work and you are responsible for it.
- Please be aware that we are not ensuring that your document adheres to the Code of Student Behaviour or FGSR formatting. In both cases, that is your job. However, we are willing to discuss issues of citation and source use as they arise or specifically at your request.
To proceed with this service, submit your request using the link below. You will be prompted to upload your file within the request form. Ensure that the name of your file follows this format: LAST NAME_EDITING REQUEST.
Within 2 business days, we will get back to you with project cost and time estimates. If your document is an article for publication, some of the items will not apply.
If you have any questions or would like to have us work with you, please contact us as we would be glad to discuss our university writing services with you.